Off to the supermarket the husband and I went to buy some peanuts. When we got there, they had the normal snack-pack size, which is not enough, or a MASSIVE bag. Rather than be deprived of the nutty, sugar goodness, I bought the big pack. The result is the jar of goodness below.
75g nuts (Nigella suggests Macedamia and Cashews, I used peanuts), chopped roughly
- Put water and sugar in a pot
- Stir, and bring to the boil
- Boil until mixture thickens and goes golden brown
- Stir in nuts whilst still on hob
- Pour onto greased baking sheet/paper
- Leave to cool, and break/cut into shards
If you add more than 75g of nuts, it will be slightly chunkier. If so, place another piece of greased paper over, and roll with a rolling pin to even out. Once cooled, it can be coated in chocolate for some extra goodness.
So, that done, I still had a rather large bag of salted peanuts. This weeks jar of peanut butter ran out a few days ago, so I decided to have a peanut butter making adventure. It is really easy!!
225g peanuts(the recipe said unsalted, but salted is what I had)
30ml Sunflower/peanut oil
(I added a dessert spoon of sugar to take a way a little of the saltiness)
Pinch of salt if required(obviously not for me)
- blend peanuts in blender till fine - mine began to look a bit like peanut butter then.
- add oil (I used vegetable), and blend again
- add sugar if you have used salted peanuts
This made about 3/4 of a normal sized jam jar.
We still have over half the bag. I wonder what I shall make next?